Hello there you little munchkins. I for one have woken up on this Sunday hangover-free for once, and so I’ve decided to use this rare opportunity to pass on some words of wisdom, one wino to another. Not much can help you with the churning stomach, shakey hands and overwhelming sense of hangover shame (you kissed WHO?); but if you do have to leave the house today then there are a few things that might help you look a little less like the hot mess you are…
1. Face mask: the chances are that you have woken up FILTHY, after falling into bed with a face full of makeup and bits of pizza around your mouth. Frankly, no amount of washing will really make you feel clean today; but you can give your skin the best shot by applying a deep cleaning face mask. My favourite is this Superdrug Dead Sea Mud Mask (only £2.59!), which really draws all the crap out of your pores and leaves skin noticeably clearer. Just what you need when your pores have been subjected to sweat/cigaratte smoke/the vile breath of drunken suitors the night before.
2. Moisturiser: it’s a known fact that alcohol dehydrates everything – your brain, your skin, your soul… It can be a good idea then to try and get as much moisture back as possible. Slap on something light but effective like this Simple Kind to Skin Hydrating Light Moisturiser.
3. Highlighter: even when moisturised, your skin’s probably still going to look dull and lifeless. While you don’t want to draw too much attention to yourself, some highlighter is the ultimate skin pick-me-up. I first tried it over a year ago, but the Seventeen Wow! Skin 3 Way Highlighter is still one of my favourites. Mix this with your foundation for a healthy, dewy base, and then also apply a bit to the cheek and browbones to give our face a much needed lift.
4. White/nude eyeliner: the eyes are one of the biggest giveaways of a hangover, so help to combat the redness by applying some white or nude eyeliner across your waterline. On a normal day, this should help eyes to look brighter and wider – all you can hope for today is that it stops people looking at you wearily like you might collapse at any minute.
5. Lip gloss: if you try to look normal today and wear lipstick, the chances are it will go cakey on your chapped lips and you might look like the corpse bride. A lipgloss will give you a bit more coverage than going au natural with a lip balm, but it will also make your lips look a bit more hydrated than a harsh lipstick. I recently got the Smashbox lipgloss in Pout, which is a lovely pale pink gloss that would be perfect for adding a bit of colour and shine to your otherwise dry-as-Ghandi’s-flipflop mouth area.
These are my top products for hiding a hangover, but what are yours? Share in the comments below!